Charming Frames to Make!

With my granddaughter’s first birthday party last week, things were hectic around here to say the least!  My best friend, who usually does all the cakes in our family, recently had surgery and was not well enough to complete the task.  I was handed that hat and also had plans to make something for her nursery that would be useful and beautiful.  I made several trips to Micheal’s to purchase cake making supplies and of course while there had to go down every isle to see what they had.  I saw some really cute frames strung with twine that you could pin photos to, but at $20 a pop, I found them a bit pricey.  Then I remembered a couple of very nice frames I purchased from a dealer on the side of a country road one day several years ago for about $5.  I always intended to use them for something, but they languished in the basement for far longer than they should have.  They were pretty and detailed, sturdy, in dire need of cleaning, large and in good repair.  I decided to make Changeable Frames so my step-daughter could easily change out photos as the little one grew.  Here’s what one looked like, pre-makeover (note all the canning we’ve done in the background!):

Frames 1-edited

I thought I had some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in the basement, but apparently I used it all on other projects so I also bought this chalk paint (SO much cheaper) and hoped for the best.  I figured that with frames, if it didn’t work out I could us something else.  As it turns out, it was good quality. Frames 5-1edited

Ed removed the backs of the frames with an box cutter and then removed the mats and glass.

I then cleaned the frames well, dried them and painted them with just one coat of chalk paint.  Frames 6-1edited

Frames 7-1editedFrames 8-1editedIf you notice, the frames had some pretty gold highlights and I knew I wanted to keep those, so once they were good and dry, I used a fine grit sandpaper on a sanding block to just remove enough paint so that the gold highlights would come through.  Here is a sanded frame next to a freshly painted frame:

Once that was done, I got out my Annie Sloan clear wax and brushed on one coat, being sure to wipe up any excess with a piece of cheesecloth.

Once that dried, again overnight, I buffed each frame with clean cheesecloth to reveal a nice finish and to protect the frames.  The last part of the project was to measure three even spaces and staple twine to each side of the backs of the frames, then attach photos with some small, dark wooden clothes pins I also picked up at Michael’s.

I love these frames so much!  Not only are they attractive, the owners can now put up recent photos that they like best (so many with a growing baby!) and rotate them at any time with ease.  This is an easy and fun project, so if you have any frames just lying around, put them to good use!  Enjoy!Charming Frames


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *